Monday, April 4, 2011

March 28th...

To sum up my mission in a letter is, I think, impossible. From the beginning to the very end I have seen myself continually change, be affected by the work, and I've seen the effect that i have had on others. In the beginning, this work was difficult; yet I had amazing teachers and companions in the MTC who helped me grow in the knowledge of my Savior and helped me grow my testimony. But once I ended up in Estonia without those people around me, I didn't know for sure if I was going to stay. The work was difficult, the language was even harder, and I missed my family. But I stuck it out. Not because I wanted to, but because I knew the Lord wanted me to. He is the reason I'm on a mission. He gave me the call, I accepted it, and I couldn't turn back no matter how much I wanted to. Luckily the Tartu branch and my fellow missionaries helped me pull through. People were endlessly patient with me, especially when I spoke Estonian. I quickly made many friends and memories. I remember my first lesson and just thinking 'Wow, I am really a missionary' followed by 'Wow, I have no idea what they are saying!' I had an awesome trainer who had lots of faith in me and was always encouraging me to push on even though it seemed like everyday we had doors slammed in our faces, we were wet from all the random rain storms, and dogs tried to have me for lunch. But again, I just got up the next morning to do it again. Slowly but surely, my language got better and I made my way to Pärnu. There, I was finally able to see the fruits of hard labor. Zoja was baptized into the church. She was baptized in a little tub with water barely reaching her shins. Yet miraculously, Heavenly Father saw her courage and made the little tub work for a baptism. Now to see her as an active member preparing for the temple makes me so grateful that I had a part in that. Pärnu was my family during my first Christmas away from home and the members really brightened my spirits every time I heard their testimonies and saw them arrive for Sunday services even though it was -25 C and a blizzard. That was always a testimony to me that this church is true. I again made my way back to Tartu and there I grew so much. I was finally able to teach and converse without worrying. I had some hard times there, especially with companions, but I am so grateful for those now. Without that I would have never learned patience. My 'I want what I want now' attitude changed. I learned to rely on the Lord more and call on him in my hardest times and also in the easiest times. We had lots of success in Tartu and I really love all the people there. I was then sent back to Pärnu where I was lucky enough to teach a beautiful family. I saw them get married, and be baptized. I also saw the miracles of another young woman being baptized after I followed the promptings of the Holy Ghost. From there I made my way to the big city of Tallinn. A city I hoped to never serve in, but one that taught me to grow up. I was able to lead, grow, and develop my talents that the Lord has given to me. I saw how a strong branch functions and was able to work closely with the leaders. I had to learn to love knocking in a city with man eating dogs as well. I remember saying prayers at every gate with a 'kuri koer' sign, asking for protection and feeling my adrenaline kick up a few notches. I am glad that part is over. :) Then came the turning point of my mission. I was asked to change languages and serve in the Latvian city of Liepaja. This was a heartbreaking experience for me. I had so much love for Estonia, the people, the members, and the missionaries. I didn't want to say goodbye to them. I didn't think I could. This is the first time I think I ever 'wrestled with the Lord' like Enos. I was scared to leave and I really didn't want to. But after having the help of missionaries, my president, priesthood blessings, pondering, prayer, scripture reading, fasting, and the efforts from others I realized this was what the Lord needed of me. I realized it was his work, not mine. I am here to do his will, not mine. So I went. At first it was hard to be upbeat but I was greeted by a beautiful, strong branch and amazing missionaries who took me in as family. The transition was very easy, but the language change was hard, and I missed everything about Estonia. But I loved my experience there. I can't even explain all the ways that I grew up and changed. I really learned to appreciate what I have. I learned that it can all be taken away so quickly. I loved Latvia and all that it gave to me. Then, amazingly, at the new year, I was sent back to Estonia. I was sent once again to serve my beloved friends in Tartu and work with an awesome companion. We taught so many great people, worked hard, and had a blast the whole time. It was a really rewarding transfer, one that I won't ever forget. We were able to help many members in need and to really show true service and love for them. And finally, for my last six weeks I have been serving in Tallinn. The work here has again helped me grow patience. Its been very slow here, but very exciting when we have lessons show up and go through. I have loved being back. Its incredible to think about all the experiences that I have had and how this part of my life is coming to an end. A couple years ago, I was just a kid, living my life in Utah. I almost rejected the call to serve. I almost told God no. I am so grateful, eternally grateful, that I answered the call to serve a mission. Many things have happened in two years, and I have missed a lot of things. But it has been completely worth it. I don't regret anything. Everything that has happened, happened for a reason. I feel like the luckiest person to have been sent here and to have met and loved so many wonderful people. I am so grateful for all the missionaries whom I have had the opportunity to serve with. I looked up to every one of you. You all offered something different and you all have affected little parts of my life. I am grateful for all my friends that have stayed in contact with me and all those that have followed my mission. Your prayers, and letters, and faith have helped keep me going. I am so grateful for my amazing family. You have all been amazing for helping throughout my mission. I also received encouraging words from you when I needed them the most. I have seen change in you all and I am so excited to once again be with you. I have really missed you. I am so grateful for this church and everything it had given me. I am grateful to have seen peoples life's change because of the happy message we proclaim. I am so honored to say that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We are so lucky for the knowledge that we have. That there is life after this one, that we have a loving Father in Heaven and an older brother who cares about us, who has and does anything for us if we just follow them. I am so grateful that I have been able to grow closer to the Lord and learn more about my Savior. I have never felt this close to him. But I am so grateful for all the things Heavenly Father has taught me. I am grateful for all the prayers that he has answered and for all the strength that he has given me to press on. I am grateful to have served a mission for the church. I am a missionary. Those are wonderful words. It is a bittersweet feeling to have it all come to an end. But I feel like I have done everything that I could have. I have given it my all. I love you all. I love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I love this church.
Armastusega,
Vanem Spencer Mark Boyce

No comments:

Post a Comment